Welcome!

Matt McLarty

Subscribe to Matt McLarty : eMailAlertsEmail Alerts
Get Matt McLarty via: homepageHomepage mobileMobile rssRSS facebookFacebook twitterTwitter linkedinLinkedIn


Top Stories by Matt McLarty

Recently, I’ve been working closely with a number of large enterprise clients who have already gone or will soon go live with Layer 7 solutions at the core of mission-critical infrastructure. I’ve observed that, in the API Management space, proof of concept and initial projects often focus on functional needs but the emphasis shifts to non-functional requirements as environments mature and sharing increases. There’s a clear, three-phase progression for large enterprises, which moves along these lines: Solve the basic functional use cases – The 80% in the 80-20 rule Solve the remaining, more complex use cases – The 20% Deploy the basic functions on an enterprise scale – Back to the 80% In Phase 3, it’s all about performance, scalability, operability, security, availability and consumability. The problems are very complex but the goal is to make the resulting solution ... (more)

“Mobile App Security: Always Keep the Back Door Locked” – Our Take

Today’s lead article on Ars Technica talks about the importance of protecting back-end resources in the context of mobile applications. The article rightly stresses the importance of this security, talks about the uptake in OAuth and cites API Gateway solutions as a popular option in this space. However, the article clearly misstates the capabilities of an API Management solution founded on an API Gateway. I am going to assume that the author only had exposure to API Gateways second hand or through a competitor of Layer 7. Here are the misconceptions propagated by the article, a... (more)

A Break in the Clouds

A recent study by researchers at North Carolina State University and the University of Oregon describes a threat scenario that allows attackers to exploit cloud-based resources for malicious purposes like cracking passwords or launching denial-of-service attacks. The study has gotten a lot of attention, including articles in reputable sources like Dark Reading, Ars Technica and Network World. In order to optimize the performance of mobile apps or browsers, some computation-heavy functions have been offloaded to cloud-based resources, which in turn access backend resources and We... (more)

Big Data and API Management

The hottest IT trends of 2012 are shaping up to be Cloud, mobile and “big data”. The links between API management, Cloud and mobile are clear. The links between API management and big data – a concept that creates capabilities for capturing and analyzing previously unimaginable amounts of unstructured data – are less obvious but no less significant. I see two key areas of synergy… First of all, in the three-tier architecture of the Web, the line was typically blurry between the presentation and logic tiers and concrete between logic and data. Big data now blurs the line between ... (more)

Cloud and Clear: Please Join Me at Cloud Expo in June

It’s April in Vancouver, which got me thinking about clouds.  Although the IT buzz in 2012 has been dominated by mobile and big data, Cloud computing is still a hot topic, especially since it is an enabler for both. In the public Cloud space, Google just launched Drive in the same week that Microsoft updated SkyDrive. In the private Cloud domain, IBM recently announced its PureSystems platform, which falls along similar lines as the Exa- line from Oracle. It will be interesting to see whether or not big enterprises buy into this “21st century mainframe” concept but what’s clear is... (more)